Friday 18 January 2013

New Year, New Start


I started this blog because people I knew in my writing group kept blogs and I thought I’d have a go. As a would-be writer it seemed like a good idea but for a long time I prevaricated. I didn’t know what to call it. I didn’t know what to write. I thought perhaps there were too many blogs out there already. In the event I was looking through some photographs I’d just taken and the name jumped out at me.

Next I only had to decide what to write. I still couldn’t make up my mind but in the end I decided to dive in and see what happened.

Now I think it’s time to take stock.

First off, I’m deleting the blog I posted after Christmas, it was written in haste just to keep up the momentum. It will now be incorporated into a longer piece to be posted shortly.

Secondly, I’m posting some flash fiction on another page. At my writing group we have a weekly exercise, a piece of short fiction or poetry based on a prompt. It’s good practice. With a maximum word count of 200 you soon learn to choose your words carefully. I’ve a folder full of these short tales, so I thought I might share some occasionally. I found a couple on a fairy tale theme to start the ball rolling.

Third and finally, I have a photographic project planned which I’m keeping under wraps for the time being but which I’ll put on the blog all being well.

As to whether the world needs another blog? Probably not, but why should I let that stop me.

2 comments:

  1. Why indeed Sally...done regularly, blogs soon become second nature, and are great to look back on as the months and years pass, they become part of your life. Whatever you want to share.

    Taking stock is an excellent idea, I like to do it at least twice a year. Blogs are organic, they grow with you.

    I'm very much looking forward to reading your posts during 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still not a hundred percent sure where this blog is going but a few ideas are beginning to emerge.

    ReplyDelete