Monday 15 April 2013

Mermaids

A to Z Challenge – travels round Leicester with my camera No 13.


Leicestershire is a land-locked county but as my work in progress has a merboy in it I thought I’d keep an eye out for some merfolk. Amazingly I found these gems hidden away beside the river.


These terracotta mermaid reliefs where designed by William James Neatby and made by Royal Doulton Lambeth Potteries in 1900.

The Art-Nouveau style reliefs once formed the entrance to the Leicester Wholesale Fish, Fruit and Vegetable Market in Halford Street which was demolished in 1972. In 1980 after languishing in storage they were mounted on a 20-foot-high free-standing ornamental wall next to West Bridge.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Sally . . . I love decorative architecture. Happy A to Z!

    MakingtheWriteConnections

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and detailed architecture. This looks like an amazing place to visit. I've always been fascinated by mermaids. Hi, I am a new follower from the A to Z challenge. I enjoyed your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mermaids are beautiful. The designs flows like water. Amazing to think they were once on a very functional building.

    ReplyDelete