Friday 26 April 2013

Welford

A to Z Challenge – travels round Leicester with my camera No 23.



I started my A-Z with some angels and though I found some in the  city centre, the best place for angels is probably a cemetery, particularly a Victorian one. However I was saving that visit for today.

The Welford Road Cemetery was opened in 1849 as the churchyards and burial grounds of Leicester became full to overflowing. It covers about 31 acres and is listed as a Grade II site in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens. It is also designated as a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation.

I was lucky enough to find myself there on a fine spring morning and very beautiful it was too.











2 comments:

  1. That is a very crowded cemetery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, more of those wonderful angels. Your pictures are fabulous. Stopping by again from the A-Z. It's been quite a month!

    ReplyDelete